Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day of Reckoning

Definition of resident in the state of Utah:
1. Enter the state with intention of making Utah your home
2. Are gainfully employed in Utah

I was afraid this day would come. After living in Utah for 6 years now, I have to accept the fact that I may, indeed, be a Utah resident. It's getting harder and harder each year to do my taxes and explain to California why I'm not giving them any income tax. And it's only going to get harder next year since now I own a house. I know, not only do I live in Utah, I own a piece of it! I can't deny my residency any longer, so I went to DMV and applied for a Utah driver's license. It was a 3 hour ordeal, killed my day off, and was heart breaking to lose my California license. I still can't accept that I'm a Utah resident, and I will always claim California as home.

However, I do have a secret confession. *I love Utah* I know, I'm eating my words. I still refuse to live here forever, but the truth is, it's not so bad! I'm learning to love the 4 seasons, snow can be quite fun, the mountains are so pretty, there's tons of things to do, and I can afford to live here. It's a great place to live. For right now at least. It's only taken 6 years to accept and admit this.

My precious CA license (which I just deleted for privacy issues). I realized today why license pictures look so bad. After waiting for hours in a hot room full of gross people, sweaty and irritated, who could take a good picture?! Also, please note, I love my new house, but no address will ever be as cool as "Bel Air Drive."

Not sure why I look so happy. I'm crying inside. And it was really bright outside.




7 comments:

Allison Murray said...

Don't worry, we will always be able to claim California as home! but once again...welcome to the club!

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Kind of crazy... never thought we'd both end up with Utah licenses...but here we are. I know what you mean about loving Utah - it does grow on you. St. George is a bit different than No. Utah - I'm living in the middle of the freakin' desert - but I do still hate the snow, so this is the right place for me, for now. You look way cute in this picture, btw.

Amanda said...

Hmmmm.................
I seem to remember a certain roommate who said she'd rather die than live in Utah or Idaho and would never marry anyone from either state. (I am still working on forgiving you, by the way). Congrats on the big step. I knew you'd cave eventually, they all do.
--Amanda

Cassondra said...

Kristen!!!
First of all, you are so beautiful!! You seriously look great! It is wonderful to see you again!

I just found your blog and I'm super excited to hopefully keep in touch more!

I had to laugh at your final acceptance of being a Utah resident! I felt the same way! In fact, because I grew up moving so often, the 6 years I lived in Utah is still the longest I've lived ANYWHERE in my life. Yet, I never considered it home since I felt like I was just passing through for school. Funny, huh?

Congratulations on buying a house. That is awesome and very smart so way to go!!

I would love to send you an invite to my blog but you'll have to email me so I have your email address, if you're interested!

Fun to see you again! Great blog!
Sincerely,
Cassie (Lowe) ;)

Cassondra said...

Uh...yeah. I forgot to give you MY email address so you can send me yours. Smart, Cass.

jakeandcassondra@hotmail.com

:)

The Perkes Family said...

Confession: I still haven't thrown my CA license away. I just barely got my WA one a few months ago. I couldn't let go either. Once a cali girl, always a cali girl.

Unknown said...

Christian Louboutin Ankle Boots, 2015 Hot Jerseys, Oakland Raiders Jerseys, San Diego Chargers Jerseys, NFL Hoodies Jerseys, Carolina Panthers Jerseys, San Francisco 49ers Jerseys, NY Rangers Jerseys, Buffalo Bills Jerseys, Houston Texans Jerseys, San Jose Sharks Jerseys, Buffalo Sabres Jerseys, Cleveland Browns Jerseys, St.Louis Rams Jerseys, Boston Bruins Jerseys, New York Giants Jerseys, Cincinnati Bengals Jerseys, Olympic Jerseys, Chicago Bears Jerseys, Minnesota Vikings Jerseys, cheap sale jerseys, Phoenix Coyotes Jerseys, Christian Louboutin Special Occasion, Christian Louboutin Shoes, Christian Louboutin Ballerinas, new nba hoodies jerseys, NHL Hoodies Jerseys , Baltimore Ravens Jerseys, Winter Olympics Jerseys, Minnesota Wild Jerseys, Christian Louboutin Pumps