A high light of my trip has been going through boxes of notes from high school and then calling old friends to discuss the ridiculous nature of said letters. And with my girl friends giving big sighs of relief that we didn't in fact end up marrying the boys we thought for sure we would. I probably didn't have to read as many as I did, because after doing this for hours I realized they all said the same thing:
"I'm sorry I told so and so about such and such."
"I can't believe she likes him. I liked him first."
"Why does he talk to you more than me?"
and the number one stated sentiment from high school
"Do you think he likes me?"
Here are some examples that were hilarious to me. Or probably to any girl that went to high school. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.
"I just had to tell you: I (heart) _____ I'm going to marry him someday. I PROMISE! Now ___ (other guy) and I'll just be good friends with him. Even though when I'm with him I feel like I'm in love with him" -May 29, 1997 Didn't happen. She didn't marry either one.
"Sometimes I think that while we are on the phone when you say that we are best friends, I think that it's kinda forced. Like, because we were for awhile, but now you and ___ are best friends but not me anymore" Oh, high school
"Lacey thinks they'll break up under 2 weeks, Vanessa says 2 weeks, you say a week from tomorrow, and I say he isn't going to break-up with her at all, because he knows I won't go out with him." He did break up with her, although, I don't remember when. And my friend did end up going out with him.
"You just asked me if I'm mad at ___(girl). Did she ask you to ask me that? Can you tell me why she thought that?...You're best friends with ___ (girl #2), right? Well, me and ___ (girl) are too, I think. But lately she's been spending more time with (girl #2) than me. We haven't talked on the phone for so long, except for Spanish. Can you talk to her about it?" Suprising that we all remained friends through the end of high school.
And my personal favorite. I hope you kept reading to get to this one:
"I know you're on the phone with ____ (current boyfriend). I just really hope you don't get mad after reading this letter. I (heart) ____ (same boy). I kinda liked him at the time when you liked ____ (brother to current boy), but didn't really think to tell you because you practically gagged whenever you saw him. I would have told you sooner, but then you liked him, and I could tell he liked you. But I'm happy for you. And you are still my best friend. In fact, there isn't anyone else I would want to go out with him besides you. Then I could get to know him better."
I'm so glad I'm not in high school anymore.
And as a special treat for making it to the end, my senior picture

4 comments:
hmmm... those sound like some of my older sister's journal entries...
are you sure those aren't notes from my high school days???
ohhhh, i wish you had left the names in! maybe I would've known some names. funny stuff.
TracyB
Hahahahahaha! Okay, which one was me?
Post a Comment