Monday, February 16, 2009

It was Great


I'm a pretty vocal backseat driver. Let's just be honest about that. Probably because I think people are stupid and I don't trust them. Not the person I'm driving with, but everyone else. Perhaps this comes from seeing the results of one too many car accidents. In related news, I ALWAYS wear my seat belt. Considering these two facts, it's amazing that I was able to be driven around Beijing in the CRAZIEST of traffic with just one audible gasp and without my seat belt. Okay, I gasped twice. Totally deserving though. If you haven't been to Asia, you just can't imagine the mass hysteria.




Cars making left hand turns in front and behind you at the same time as you go straight, numerous pedestrians in the middle of the intersections (this is what made me most anxious--I always worry about pedestrians). Oh, and bikes. Needless to say, it made me all a little anxious. But everyone survived. At least as far as I knew. Sometimes I just had to close my eyes.


Other than that, it was a "great" trip.
I feel like I need to use the adjective
great as much as possible. Especially
while talking about the Great Wall.




This great sign is on the way up to the Great wall. Please note #5: Senior citizens and children must be accompanied by guardian. It's a good think I was accompanying my mom.











The next few pictures are pretty self explanatory.

































This is coming down the toboggan from the Great Wall. It's like the Alpine slide in Park city. It was pretty great. And notice the great photography while careening down the mountain!


















We found a 4 star toilet. It didn't speak well for the 3 star toilets and below. It was still pretty gross














This is at the Forbidden city. It's where the Emperor used to live with the empress and his concubines. And nobody else was allowed in the city. Very sacred. Now the little red building behind us houses a Starbucks.












The continued benefit of travelling with my mom. This is what I found at my seat when I boarded the plane.
And I got another sleeper seat. It's getting harder and harder to go back to coach. I coke you too.

4 comments:

The Gentry's said...

It's a good thing that your mom had you ther on the Great Wall! LOL!! How interesting they rate their toilets.
Everytime I see coke product I think of your family!

Amanda said...

Does your mom want another daughter by chance? She could be a grandma if she chose me(j/k....but kind of serious.) Run it by her and let me know!!

Cassondra said...

I'm envious! I have always wanted to go to the Great Wall of China!!! How amazing to go with your mom!

PJ and Me said...

Hi Kristen, just stopping by to say "hi". Looks like you and your mom had a great time. Your family is the greatest.