Friday, August 21, 2009

The Ups and Down

So I've already addressed some of the perks of traveling when your mom is one of the flight attendants. Now I have to address the more unpleasant side of that coin. When your mom is working the flight, you pretty much have to do anything any of the flight attendants ask you to do. Even if that thing is trading seats with a disgruntled passenger because he was assigned to sit next to a rather...large...woman. And there were no empty seats on the flight. Now I don't want to offend any of the demographics who may read my blog, but it made for a very unpleasant 5 hour flight. The arm rest couldn't go down because she was in half of my seat, she took up all of the leg room, when she would doze off her arm would flop onto my leg, and the smell. My mom did bring me some coffee, not that I drink it, but so I could inhale it. In this woman's defense, she was very nice and pleasant and under different circumstances I wouldn't even be telling you about her.
The upside of this story, is that my mom (and all the flight attendants) felt so bad for me that when the fasten seat belt light wasn't on, my mom had made me a little seat in the first class galley from a box and table linen where I could sit enjoy a little arm and leg room. With flight attendants contantly offering me extra drinks and treats. And then they put me to work serving drinks.