Thursday, August 19, 2010

Remember the first time I bought beer

To kill slugs people. My yard has been infested with them, they're eating my plants, and have nearly killed a few. I debated whether I wanted to be seen buying beer, so I had decided I'd try traditional slug killer. But when they didn't have any at Maceys, they left me no choice but to browse the beverage isle. Plus, this is organic, right? I went with Miller high life because it was the cheapest that wasn't light beer. I figured nothing light was going to tempt them into my snare.
The cashier looked at me very judgingly as I paid for my large can of beer. I tried to hurry and tell him it was to kill snails. I'm not sure he believed me. I was a little skeptical about it working, as I think beer smells gross and I can't imagine the slugs being all that drawn to it. But slugs are gross too, and it is proving to be very effective! I put 4 bowls out, and after a few hours they already had about 30. After 1 day, I can't even count them all! I'm just not sure what to do with the slug contaminated beer now. How does one dispose of this?


6 comments:

Rob D. said...

So, am I to assume that you are implying that all "slugs" like beer? I like beer. Does that make me a slug? Rude.
Just kidding, great idea though using beer to kill them. And you picked a good beer to do it cause that's the only thing Miller High Life should be used for. I think it shouldn't be used for human consumption. (I'm a beer connoisseur. But my wife calls me a beer snob!)

Amanda said...

I second what your Asian friend said...but would like to add: Did the cashier ID you at the checkout???/

shandy said...

I feel like I've missed so much! Beer for slugs, eh? I'm impressed. I'm glad you finally made it to Sundance. The chairs are ADORABLE!!! That's about it.

Allison Murray said...

wow.

The Gentry's said...

The amount of slugs you killed is quite disgusting, and very impressive!

Alvin said...

awesome...you learn something new everyday! I'll have to keep that one in storage.