Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Quarter-life Crisis

I decided this can't be a mid-life crisis, as I do intend on living past 52. But I think what I've been feeling lately, is similar to what I hear of a mid-life crisis. No, I'm not planning on buying some fancy car, or dating someone younger (oh wait...). But I'm craving something more. More adventure, more from the future. Part of it is that I've started settling down a bit, and it's a hard adjustment. I've been used to crazy trips every month and big adventures looming in the near future. I love my house, and the feeling of having a place that is mine, but it has grounded me a little. The cash flow is not as flow-y when you have a mortgage. I tried explaining this to my mom, but she didn't understand, seeing as though in the last 6 months since buying my house I've actually been on quite a few great trips, and I have. But I just see it all slowing down a bit. And my need for adventure is causing panic.

Mostly because I look at these changes and start to worry about the future. I'm pretty sure I'd like to try that marriage thing (.....), and kids look pretty fun, but I hear they change things. Dramatically. And I know all the moms out there would laugh because kids are an adventure, but I'm thinking of a different kind of adventure. Something outside the cookie cutter. I would like the whole family scene, but I don't want to live in suburbia, have my white picket fence, 3.5 kids, and a dog. Well, I would like a dog. I don't want to be confined to a Mon-Fri 9-5 schedule. I don't want my life to simply consist of piles of laundry, errands, and dinner ready by 6. I can see that happening by default. When I'm not out of town, I'm pretty boring, so I'm afraid of what will happen if I have to stay home. I just want a little more. But I'm not sure what that is, because I don't know how to combine these two things that I want. Family and adventure. I have a vague idea of what I want, but it's not like anything I've seen from the people around me. I'm sure other people are doing it though, and I want to be one of them.





8 comments:

Amanda said...

Kristen-
As long as you always wear that outfit from the picture, I'm sure you will be just fine. Look for it in a bigger size!

Allison Murray said...

so, i have picture of myself in a very similar outfit...we were meant to be friends!

oh, and i dont' think that your life is ever going to be boring!

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Hmmmmmmm......I'm having a hard time responding to this post, seeing as the "cookie cutter" life, so called, is mine - with out the dog, but exact as to the 3.5 kids, dinner by 6, etc, etc. However, let me just say, as take it as you want, that kids are the greatest thing EVER. There is no adventure greater than having a child and being successful as a mother. Sure, there's redundancy, and mountains of laundry, but if everyone in the whole world was gone tomorrow besides Tim, my boys and me, then I would still be happy and I would still feel fulfilled and like my life had purpose and meaning. And, in not too many years, Tim and I plan on some great adventures with our boys - and what can be better than sharing an adventure with the people you love more than anything in the whole world?

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Kristen, After thinking about your post for over 12 hours (I always over analyze everything) I finally came up with the response I really wanted to put as a comment on your blog and turned it into a post on my blog. I wasn't offended by your post, it just made me think of things I had never thought before! So, you can check it out there if you want. Hope I get to see you tomorrow when you are in town!

Cassondra said...

Kristen, Is that really you in the picture? You look AWESOME!! Seriously, SO cute!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It means a lot to me coming from a non-commenter. :) i always appreciate knowing when people have visited.

As for the whole adventure plus family thing, it's good to think about now. I have way to many thoughts about it to fill up your commenting space on, but I will say; life is what you make of it. So far, it looks like you're doing a great job finding fulfillment. So, although, things change as you settle down, I'm confident you will keep finding adventure and just tote those little ones along to experience it with you. There is something so amazing about experiencing life through the eyes of your children!!!!

cassie

Now I'm off to read Rebecca's thoughts... ;)

neilandamanda said...

I have to agree with Rebecca's comment and her post(I had to read it after I read her comment). I like how she commented on how sweet it is. And yes it is. I wear spit up on my shirts most days and don't shower until noon but I love it. It really is an honor to be a mother.

Brielle said...

Okay Kristen I have to agree with Rebecca and Amanda. I think life is what you make it and yes your life for sure changes when you have children but it doesn't mean everything you love you won't be able to do anymore. It just means you will do it as a family. Children are the biggest blessing, very hard work but so fun at the same time.

kp said...

Okay blog reading moms of america: This post was not meant to be a "I don't want to have kids" post. I'm not sure how it got taken there, but thanks for the testimonials. That's not what it says. I do. I think Cassie said it best: life is what you make of it, that's what I was going for. It's all about the choices, and right now, I'm at that point where the choices I make are critical to the outcome, so I need to know what I want the outcome to be. Yes, it includes family, but I don't want it to be the typical family. That's what I was going for.