Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Things First

This weekend I enjoyed a few things that I had never done before. Namely, I had never been down to Zion National Park (note: pronounced Zion. Not ZionS or Zi-on.) I was amazed at how many foreigners there were. I heard more English in Europe than I heard in Zion. Brian and I went down just for 2 1/2 days, but we were able to do the Narrows and Subway, which are the things I wanted to do. We had intended to to Subway first, but the weather in the morning was a little sketchy, so we waited that out and were able to do the Narrows instead that day.

Other firsts:
Rappelling: We did Subway from top to bottom. Not that you couldn't do this one without rappelling, as many people that day did, but it was so much easier with ropes, and much less risk of breaking an ankle. Things I'm all in favor of.

Hitchhiking: We only had one car, so we needed a ride to the top of the trail. It was much easier than expected. It was early in the morning, but it took less than a minute, a guy stopped and we hopped in the back of his truck. Unfortunately dude man doesn't cap his tank that he carries diesel fuel in, so everything was oily and every time he took a turn gas splashed everywhere. You'd think that with as expensive as that stuff is, you'd be a little more careful with it. So we had gas all over. Let me tell you, we smelled awesome by the end of the day. A nice coating of fuel, sweat, and stagnant water smell.

Realizing how sharp cactus are: We were climbing down into the gully and I used my hand to lower myself down. I didn't realize that where I stuck my right hand there was a broken off cactus piece. It was camouflaged in dirt. It was one of those furry ones, so got to pick out about 30 pieces of cactus out of my hand.

Look how bitty I look in the Narrows!


In case you were wondering, I am aware of how ridiculous I look in a bandanna. However, I look even more ridiculous when my head is peeling for 2 weeks and it looks like I have the worst dandruff. Bandanna wins.

3 comments:

neilandamanda said...

Sorry Kristen but Brian beats you hands down on who could become a foot model. I don't think you could ever make it in the business, but Brian may have a future in it. Tell him to consider that if other options fail!
We are going in a couple of weeks-to bad we couldn't have coordinated and gone together!
-

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

I am so jealous! We only hiked about 20 feet or so of the Narrows, you know, 3 kids kinda slows you down. But someday Tim and I want to take our boys. Cute pics! I'm glad you had fun! And thanks for your post on my blog - you are so sweet!

Unknown said...

Christian Louboutin Ankle Boots, 2015 Hot Jerseys, Oakland Raiders Jerseys, San Diego Chargers Jerseys, NFL Hoodies Jerseys, Carolina Panthers Jerseys, San Francisco 49ers Jerseys, NY Rangers Jerseys, Buffalo Bills Jerseys, Houston Texans Jerseys, San Jose Sharks Jerseys, Buffalo Sabres Jerseys, Cleveland Browns Jerseys, St.Louis Rams Jerseys, Boston Bruins Jerseys, New York Giants Jerseys, Cincinnati Bengals Jerseys, Olympic Jerseys, Chicago Bears Jerseys, Minnesota Vikings Jerseys, cheap sale jerseys, Phoenix Coyotes Jerseys, Christian Louboutin Special Occasion, Christian Louboutin Shoes, Christian Louboutin Ballerinas, new nba hoodies jerseys, NHL Hoodies Jerseys , Baltimore Ravens Jerseys, Winter Olympics Jerseys, Minnesota Wild Jerseys, Christian Louboutin Pumps