Saturday, August 16, 2008

Reeling 'Em In

Disclaimer: The subject of this post has nothing to do with my current dating status. Do not read between the lines, read into it, or otherwise twist it into more than it is. They are just thoughts.

My family has a dating metaphor that began a few years back while we were salmon fishing in Alaska. We were catching nice big Kings around 20-30 pounds, but since you can only keep 4, which ones do you throw back? Do you throw back a 30 lb in hopes of a 35? But then what if you end up getting a 20? Or worse yet, nothing. It's a tough decision. Like in dating. You can have something great, but do you hold out for better? Only to be skunked? And then there's Mr. Perfect. Is he really out there? The last day of our fishing trip a friend pulled in a 47 pounder! I didn't know salmon existed that big! Could it be there is a 47 pound Mr. Perfect lurking out there? Someone I don't think exists but does? In the end, I ended up with the biggest fish on our boat, 34 pounds, and a few others around 30. I felt good with those.

This metaphor made me start thinking. How did fishing take over the dating world?
"He's a great catch"
"Fish or cut bait"
"The one that got away"
"There's other fish in the sea"
And then I kept thinking, if I went fishing more often would I be married by now? Is there some life lesson I'm missing because, more often than not, I think fishing is boring and frustrating? Then again, so is dating.

Me attempting to hold the 47 pounder. Maybe it's more than I can handle?

Please note: My fish is bigger than everyone elses. Although, dad does look overly excited about his little ones. Oh, and how cool do we look all matchy?

6 comments:

Logg said...

Speaking as a 47 pounder, maybe I am more than you can handle. Although at this point you'd have to build up quite a bit of strength to throw me back.

Your Dad said...

Actually, the only reason you are holding the biggest fish is because you couldn't handle two of them at the same time...Hey!another fishing/dating metaphor. :-)

Love you! Dad.

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Such a cute post!! I always knew you were creative, but your blog definitely outshines most!! Your family is soooooo cute and it's fun to see you two all together. Tell them all hi for me! And I loved the Lake Powell post, too.
But, if you don't start commenting on my blog, then I'm not going to comment on yours any more... Okay, maybe not because I think it's so much fun! But seriously, get brave, Kristen.... I know you can do it. :)

The Perkes Family said...

Too funny. You know, since you have to get a fishing license I think you should have to get a dating license too. Only qualified daters allowed! Then maybe it wouldn't be so hard :) I know you will find someone that makes you happy. And yes, the fishing pictures are cute. I love your family!

The Gentry's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Gentry's said...

One of these four is not like the other...your dad isn't matching the rest of you! He ruined the pic ;) of course I'm kidding! I think the fish is bigger than you are!